Math with your sneakers on! Play a pickup game of Flagway, and cheer your favorite hometown team in the national Flagway Tournament. Meet Math Literacy Workers, students who train their peers (and you!) in the math skills to help everyone shine in this wfun, exciting team sport.
The Young People’s Project’s 3rd Annual National Flagway™ Tournament will bring together middle school players and their coaches (high school mentors) from across the country, to compete in a friendly math competition. The Flagway™ Game combines speed, athleticism, and precision with the mastery of mathematics. Flagway™ has the same elements that most sports have: running, scoring points, teamwork, coaching, training, competition, collaboration, and fun. Because of this, people of all ages are naturally attracted to the game.
To be good at Flagway™ however also requires a mastery of mathematics. Our goal is that Flagway™ will target students who typically are not recognized for mathematical achievement and will provide a vehicle for them to shine in this arena!
SCHEDULE OF YPP ACTIVITIES
10:00am – 2:00pm: Flagway™ Game and Tabletop Activities
2:00-4:00pm: 3rd Annual National Flagway™ Tournament
10:00am – 4:00pm: The Young People’s Project Make or Take Station
2019 TOURNAMENT TEAM ROSTER (current)
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (Alton, IL)
- Virginia State University ETS (Petersburg, VA)
- DePaul University INSTEM Camp (Chicago, IL)
- Horizon Science Academy Belmont Charter School (Chicago, IL)
- OSU Mansfield Mathematics Literacy Initiative (Mansfield, OH)
- Cambridge Street Upper School (Cambridge, MA)
- Putnam Avenue Upper School (Cambridge, MA)
- Mandela Residents Cooperative Association (Boston, MA)
- Local teams from Washington D.C.
2017 Flagway Tournament Video:
2018 Flagway Tournament Video: