YPP has been playing Flagway with children across the country for many years; it is the cornerstone of our math literacy work. Flagway is a physical game led by high school students, that facilitates middle school students’ math learning. As a result they learn about primes and composites, factorization, the algebraic form of numbers and develop a deeper understanding of number theory.
The Flagway League/program model is intentionally designed around the following underlying principles:
- Youth Math Literacy work can build demand for math skills among students underrepresented in STEM professions.
Part of the solution to the problem of improving math performance and confidence for students in our target population, lies within the students themselves, who though economically and academically disadvantaged, are also an asset.
- Afterschool settings reach students from populations that are underrepresented in STEM fields and provides enrichment opportunities that can bring STEM alive for them.
- Within the mentoring structure of near-peer coaches, students’ awareness of the connection between math skills and future STEM employment is raised.
SCHEDULE OF YPP ACTIVITIES
- Join YPP and meet Math Literacy Workers (MLW) from across participating Flagway Teams, elementary and middle school players, college MLW, and YPP staff.
- Play tabletop games, learn a new floor activity, and bring your competitive spirit to the Flagway Tournament.
- In addition, join a Youth Voice Circle and share your thoughts with others about your educational experience AND hangout with us for a social-hour.
2020 TOURNAMENT TEAM ROSTER (to date)
- Alton/Edwardsville (3x defending national champions), Illinois in partnership with Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville
- Boston/Cambridge in partnership with Biogen STAR Alliance, CPS, and BPS
- Broward County, Florida in partnership with Broward County Public Schools and Florida Local Alliance for Math Literacy and Equity (F.L.A.M.E.)
- Chicago, Illinois in partnership with inSTEM at DePaul University
- Flint, Michigan in partnership with Flint Community Schools and YouthQuest
- Jackson, Mississippi in partnership with local We The People Math Literacy for All Alliance members
- Manchester, New Hampshire in partnership with New England College and Manchester School District
- Norfolk, Virginia in partnership with Virginia State University
- Washington, D.C. in partnership with Washington Teacher’s Union and Mathematics Science Research Institute (MSRI)
2017 Flagway Tournament Video
2018 Flagway Tournament Video
2019 Flagway Tournament Video